- Make a new Generic Model that can have everything "hidden"
- Make sure it has a Shared Parameter that is set to "Varies by Group Instance" in the Project
- Make a Schedule that shows only this family (using a Filter). In essence, this schedule will now be scheduling the actual group.
- If you want to, enter some identifying information into the "varying" Shared Parameter that you made in step 2
- Use the Highlight in Model option in the Schedule to locate each instance
I adapted and expanded on this method over at:
Auditing and Comparing Model Groups in Revit 2014