Basically, you just need a Symbol family with URL instance parameter. In the URL parameter, paste a fully resolved path to the script or exe file (you can use Shift + rightclick to quickly get this from Explrorer in Windows 7). Now, when you select the Symbol family, click on the dots in the Properties Palette - the exe or script will run, directly from Revit
- Launch any program
- Launch a program that may be useful in-canvas (like Colorette)
- Launch a search program like Locate32, that can be used to search for Revit content and drag-drop into the Revit session
- Copy point clouds to local drive
- Map network drives
- Archive RVT folder script, perhaps using 7-zip
- Run Autodesk program update packages (some of these may require Revit to be shutdown)
- Run add-in installers (that will probably require Revit to be updated)
- Copy macro updates
- Delete Revit backup files script
- Clean up Journal folder
- Make a backup of Keynote file or Shared Parameter file (perhaps used before editing)
- Run Windows Task Scheduler tasks
- Shutdown the computer
Here is a sample annotation family with URL parameter to download
Once you have the Annotation family loaded and placed, just add the suitable path, and then select the element and click where the little dots should be:
The command is instantly triggered.
In a worksharing environment, you could set up a Drafting View where you placed different instances of this "linker" family to trigger various project-related scripts.
This idea grew from this post and this one about copying Point Clouds.