The answer - View Templates 2013 (of course).
First of all, make or open a Template file. Set up the View Templates in this file. Then save it, and Transfer Project Standards (View Templates) from this Template into the 5 other project files.
Apply the View Template to the applicable views in each of the 5 projects.
Now, when you want to update the View Template across all 5 projects:
- Open the Template file (it could be saved as an RTE or RVT in your project folder, such as View-Templates.rte)
- For each project RVT file: Open it,
- Transfer Project Standards from the View-Templates.rte TO the Project file
- Rinse and repeat for all 5 project files.
- Your View Templates are now synchronised between all the RVT links.
- Your Views have automatically been adjusted due to the updated View Template definitions.
There are some traps and limitations with this idea, but I think that it could be powerful if used properly.