- The family is edited in place
- All objects in the family (including reference planes etc) are selected
- A 'group' command is triggered
- The group is saved (as a file) to a temporary location (it will be an RFA)
- This family is loaded back into the project
- The family is placed in the correct location (XYZ) in the project
- The original in-place family is deleted from the project.
I'm sure that many users would find this tool helpful, and for some of you advanced Revit API programmers, this utility should be a piece of cake!
Also: if you release this utility for free, just think of the Revit API street cred that would give you.
Finally, if you want to take it to the next level - make a Batch Convert option, that allows the user to 'pick' which In-place families (from the current project) that they would like converted, after which the Batch tool goes ahead and does steps 1 to 7 above on each and every in-place family you selected.