However, you may obtain a sample image of a material, but the color is irregular. For example, you scan in a paint sample and there is a color variation in the scanned image. Or perhaps you simply want to take a detailed pattern sample image and find out the average color of a particular part of that image.
Here's how you do it:
- Download Paint.NET
- Download Average Color plugin
- Copy the DLL file from the extracted Average Color ZIP you downloaded into the 'Effects' folder, which is in you Paint.NET installation directory (for example: C:\Program Files\Paint.NET\Effects\)
- Open Paint.NET
- Open the image you want to find an average color from.
- Make a rectangular selection.
- Click on the Effects menu - Average Color
- Now click on the Color Picker tool (looks like an Eyedropper)
- On the 'Colors' palette, click the More>> button
- The RGB values for your selected color are shown.
- In Revit, input those RGB values for the desired color or material
Average Color of Selection forum thread
Plugin to Average Color of Selection - Paint.NET Forum